The Sinclair Line
We speculate, due to the circumstantial evidence regarding executor records and land purchases of John Sinclair (see third paragraph below), that Duncan Sinclair may be the father of John Sinclair. There is no absolute proof that we’ve been able to locate as of January 2003. Duncan was christened 28 September, 1753 in Inverary, Glenary, Argyll, Scotland. We do not know when he came to America.
He married first Isabel McIntyre. Later he married Mary Fulton. Duncan Sinclair died September 20, 1805 in York Co SC. Mary died after 1810 in York Co, SC. Mary and Duncan had 8 children. John Sinclair, our line, born about 1780 died 1844.
John Sinclair is the first of our line that we are sure of and the family from this point on is well documented. John married Elizabeth Harris born between 1780-1795, died about 1839. John and Elizabeth’s children were-James, John, Benjamin, William, Sarah, Elizabeth, Polly, Elisah, Nancy, Anna. (Might not be all of the children‘s names).James Sinclair born Feb 6-1811, married Miss Susan Powers born May 26-1818. She supposedly was of a pioneer family of English and Scotch Irish extraction. When they came to Spartanburg County, Nimrod Thomas-- born 1858 was with his parents at the time. James and Susan had eleven children--they were--not necessarily in order--William Edd, Nimrod Thomas, Nathaniel, Jefferson, John, Leonard, Emma Line, Elizabeth, Sara Jane, Rohdia, Susan Ann. My line came from Nimrod Thomas by his first wife--Sallie Morris born May 8-1858. Their children in order were--Robert Hugh, Esther, William Frank, Victor, Ida, and Lawrence. Sallie Morris Sinclair died June 3-1897. Nimrod then married Lillie Eddings. Their children were--Nimrod Jr., Susie, James Thomas, Jeff David, Bessie, Lillie Mae, Johnnie, Thelma. Around 1884, just after William Frank was born, Nimrod established his family’s new home in the Brown’s Creek Baptist Church Community in Union County, just south-east of Lockhart, South Carolina, on the River Road near the Broad River. My line---- James Sinclair born Feb 6-1811, died Aug 17-1905 married Susan Powers born May 26-1818, died June 03-1897 Nimrod Thomas Sinclair born May 26-1858, died Jan 3-1931 Sallie Morris Sinclair born May 8-1858, died June 3-1897 Nimrod, 2nd wife Lizzie and son Victor-------First wife Sallie Morris Nimrod Thomas by his first wife--Sallie Morris born May 8-1858. Their children in order were--Hugh, Esther, William Frank, Victor, Ida, and Lawrence. Esther-born married George Horne Children--Macy, Dora, Martis, and Everette. Robert Hughes-born Aug 22-1880, died Jan 9-1963, married Lizzie Becknell born Sep 22-1886, died Sep 07-1963. Their Children--Frankie, Ernest, Melvin, Robert Hughes JR, and Wylie. William Frank-born Sep 13-1885, died-Sep 4-1952--married Gertrude Roddy-born-Jan 27-1891, died-Jan 16-1975 Children--Maude, Theodore, Jeanette, William, Boyd, Naomi, Twins-Nellie and Melvin (my Dad, born November 11, 1922) Victor-born Aug 8-1886, died-Nov 12-1931--married Maggie Thrift –born March 17-1890, died-Dec 10-1934. Children--Clara Bell, Arminta, Victor Woodrow, Carl William, Harold, and Katherine. Ida Belle-born May 11-1888 married Robert H. Inman Children--, Sallie, Medford, Katie Lee, Fred, and Robert H JR. John Lawrence-born Sep 08-1894, died July 27-1954 married Alma Christy born Sep 22-1899, died July 24-1964 Children--Doris, Helen, Vivian, and John Lawrence. Nimrod, 2nd wife Lizzie Eddings and son (Victor from 1st wife Sallie Morris) Nimrod second wife Lillie Eddings. Children--Nimrod Jr., Susie, James Thomas, Jeff David, Bessie, Lillie Mae, Johnnie, Thelma. Susie married James Jarman--0 children Nimrod Joseph married Lottie Chalk--9 children James Thomas married Alma Thomas--0 children Lillie Mae married Roy Le Master--5 children Johnny married Gladys Corylon--5 children Jefferson Davis married Eva Maness--4 children Thelma married Robert Muller--0 children Sara Elizabeth married Fletcher Price--4 children My Line continued-- William Frank Sinclair born Sep 13-1885, died Sep 4-1952 married Gertrude Roddy born Jan 27-1889, died Jan 16-1975 Children--Maude, Theodore, Jeanette, William, Boyd, Naomi, Twins-Nellie and Melvin (my Dad, born November 11, 1922) Descendants of Nimrod T. Sinclair
Generation No. 1
SALLIE MORRIS. She was born May 08, 1858, and died June 03, 1897. He married (2) LILLIE EDDINGS.Notes for NIMROD T. SINCLAIR: Nimrod Sinclair was the son of James Sinclair and Susan Powell. He lived on the Broad River in Union County, South Carolina. Children of NIMROD SINCLAIR and SALLIE MORRIS are: 2. i. ESTER2 SINCLAIR. 3. ii. ROBERT HUGHES SINCLAIR, b. August 22, 1880; d. January 09, 1962, Columbia S. C.. 4. iii. WILLIAM FRANK SINCLAIR, b. September 13, 1884; d. September 04, 1952. 5. iv. VICTOR SINCLAIR, b. August 08, 1886, Union, S.C.; d. November 12, 1931, Whitmire, S. C.. 6. v. IDA BELLE SINCLAIR, b. May 11, 1888. 7. vi. JOHN LAWRENCE SINCLAIR, b. September 08, 1894; d. July 27, 1954, Union S.C.. Children of NIMROD SINCLAIR and LILLIE EDDINGS are: vii. SUSIE2 SINCLAIR. viii. NIMROD JOSEPH SINCLAIR, b. December 25, 1905. ix. JAMES THOMAS. x. LILLIE MAE SINCLAIR, b. December 23, 1913. xi. JOHNNY SINCLAIR, b. 1915. xii. JEFFERSON DAVIS SINCLAIR, b. December 31, 1910. xiii. THELMA SINCLAIR. xiv. SARA ELIZABETH.
Generation No. 2
2. ESTER2 SINCLAIR (NIMROD T.1) She married GEORGE HORNE. Children of ESTER SINCLAIR and GEORGE HORNE are: i. MACY3 HORNE. ii. DORA HORNE. iii. MARTIS HORNE. iv. EVERETTE HORNE.
3. ROBERT HUGHES2 SINCLAIR (NIMROD T.1) was born August 22, 1880, and died January 09, 1962 in
Columbia S. C.. He married ELIZABETH BECKNELL. She was born September 22, 1886, and died
September 07, 1963.Notes for ROBERT HUGHES SINCLAIR: Also known as Bud. Children of ROBERT SINCLAIR and ELIZABETH BECKNELL are: i. FRANKIE3 SINCLAIR. ii. ERNEST SINCLAIR. iii. MELVIN SINCLAIR. iv. ROBERT HUGHES JR SINCLAIR. v. WYLIE SINCLAIR. vi. CORRIE SINCLAIR. 4. WILLIAM FRANK2 SINCLAIR (NIMROD T.1) was born September 13, 1884, and died September 04, 1952. He married GERTRUDE RODDEY. She was born January 27, 1889 in Chester, S.C., and died January 16, 1975 in Whitmire, S.C.. Children of WILLIAM SINCLAIR and GERTRUDE RODDEY are: 8. i. MAUDE3 SINCLAIR, b. February 02, 1909, Whitmire, S.C.; d. January 08, 2002, Greenwood, S.C.. ii. JEANETTE SINCLAIR, m. HASKELL WALKER; b. July 07, 1909; d. December 04, 1970. iii. HENRY THEDORA SINCLAIR, b. February 13, 1913; d. August 22, 1987; m. RUBY HUTCHINSIN. iv. WILLIAM FRANK JR SINCLAIR, b. May 09, 1916; m. MIRIAM REVELS; b. February 01, 1916; d. August 27, 1959. v. HUGH BOYD SINCLAIR, b. December 16, 1918; d. October 10, 1987; m. HELEN PRINCE. vi. NAOMI SINCLAIR, b. October 16, 1920; d. October 24, 1970; m. ARTHUR SPARKS; b. September 25, 1912. vii. NELLIE SINCLAIR, b. November 11, 1922 m. VINCENT MILO. 9. viii. MELVIN SINCLAIR, b. November 11, 1922. 5. VICTOR2 SINCLAIR (NIMROD T.1) was born August 08, 1886 in Union, S.C., and died November 12, 1931 in Whitmire, S. C.. He married MAGGIE THRIFT. She was born March 17, 1890, and died December 10, 1934 in Whitmire, S.C.. Notes for VICTOR SINCLAIR: Victor Sinclair and his brothers, Frank and Laurance came to Whitmire, SC to work as skilled machinest in the textile plant there. Notes for MAGGIE THRIFT: Maggie Thrift was the daughter of William Pickney Thrift, born abt Feb 1861, and Texanna Davis, born abt Jan 1862. William was the son of John Thrift and his wife Matilda. William died March 29, 1941 and is buried at Lydia Mills in Laurens County, S. C. Texanna Davis was the daughter of John Davis, son of Peter, son of James, son of Nathaniel. Nathaniel was a private in the Revolutionary War. He had a plantation just across Enoree River in Union County. A Davis family cemetary is still there. Tecanna ("Texas") died April 30, 1922 and is buried at Odell Church Cemetary. Maggie's siblings were: Minnie, born abt 1891; Frank, born abt 1893;Janie, born abt 1896; and William P. Jr., born abt 1904. Children of VICTOR SINCLAIR and MAGGIE THRIFT are: 10. i. CLARA BELLE3 SINCLAIR, b. September 12, 1914. 11. ii. ARMINTA SINCLAIR, b. July 27, 1916, Whitmire, S.C.. 12. iii. VICTOR WOODROW SINCLAIR, b. September 17, 1918; d. May 26, 1997. 13. iv. CARL WILLIAM SINCLAIR, b. September 27, 1920. 14. v. HAROLD SINCLAIR, b. September 01, 1922. 15. vi. KATHERINE SINCLAIR, b. May 27, 1925; d. July 08, 2000. 6. IDA BELLE2 SINCLAIR (NIMROD T.1) was born May 11, 1888. She married ROBERT H INMAM. Children of IDA SINCLAIR and ROBERT INMAM are: 16. i. SALLIE3 INMAM. 17. ii. MEDFORD INMAM. 18. iii. KATIE LEE INMAM. 19. iv. FRED INMAM. 20. v. ROBERT H JR INMAM. 7. JOHN LAWRENCE2 SINCLAIR (NIMROD T.1) was born September 08, 1894, and died July 27, 1954 in Union S.C.. He married ALMA CHRISTY. She was born September 22, 1899, and died July 24, 1964. Notes for JOHN LAWRENCE SINCLAIR: Also known as Son. Children of JOHN SINCLAIR and ALMA CHRISTY are: i. DORIS3 SINCLAIR. ii. HELEN SINCLAIR. iii. JOHN LAWRENCE JR SINCLAIR.
Generation No. 3
8. MAUDE3 SINCLAIR (WILLIAM FRANK2, NIMROD T.1) was born February 02, 1909 in Whitmire, S.C., and died January 08, 2002 in Greenwood, S.C.. She married CLYDE FRANCE OVERSTREET. He was born April 05, 1905, and died February 25, 1963. Children of MAUDE SINCLAIR and CLYDE OVERSTREET are: i. FRANK4 OVERSTREET. ii. CLYDE JR OVERSTREET. iii. HELEN OVERSTREET. iv. BARBARA OVERSTREET. . .v. LEON OVERSTREET. vi. GRADY OVERSTREET. vii. VIRGINIA OVERSTREET. 9. MELVIN3 SINCLAIR (WILLIAM FRANK2, NIMROD T.1) was born November 11, 1922. He married MARIAN WHISONANT. NOTE: They moved from Whitmire to Alexandria, Virginia from 1970 – 1988. Marian died December 28, 1987 and Melvin moved back to Whitmire in April 1988. Melvin was Assistant Chief Engineer over maintenance for a very large apartment complex in Alexandria until his retirement in 1988. He remarried in 1992 to Jessie Cooper, however they never lived together. Children of MELVIN SINCLAIR and MARIAN WHISONANT is: i. MELVIN JR4 SINCLAIR. Note from Melvin Jr.: Elizabeth Gayle Sinclair born prematurely 1947, lived about 30 days. 10. CLARA BELLE3 SINCLAIR (VICTOR2, NIMROD T.1) was born September 12, 1914. She married MADISON H. WOODWARD. Children of CLARA SINCLAIR and MADISON WOODWARD are: i. SARITA4 WOODWARD. ii. LANOMA WOODWARD. iii. JACOB HENRY WOODWARD. iv. KAREN J'DONNE WOODWARD. v. PATTON WOODWARD. vi. LANE WOODWARD. 11. ARMINTA3 SINCLAIR (VICTOR2, NIMROD T.1) was born July 27, 1916 in Whitmire, S.C.. She married THOMAS FLOYD BURRELL December 17, 1936 in Whitmire, S.C.. He was born November 05, 1910 in Highlands, N.C., and died July 21, 2001 in Whitmire, S.C.. Children of ARMINTA SINCLAIR and THOMAS BURRELL are: 21. i. VICTOR FLOYD4 BURRELL, b. September 09, 1941, Whitmire, S. C.. 22. ii. DWIGHT SINCLAIR BURRELL, b. February 18, 1946, Whitmire, S. C.. 12. VICTOR WOODROW3 SINCLAIR (VICTOR2, NIMROD T.1) was born September 17, 1918, and died May 26, 1997. He married HELEN CROMER. Children of VICTOR SINCLAIR and HELEN CROMER are: i. VICTOR4 SINCLAIR. ii. PEGGY SINCLAIR. 13. CARL WILLIAM3 SINCLAIR (VICTOR2, NIMROD T.1) was born September 27, 1920. He married DOROTHY MCCALL. Children of CARL SINCLAIR and DOROTHY MCCALL are: 23. i. CARL WILLIAM JR4 SINCLAIR. ii. JANE SINCLAIR, Adopted child. 14. HAROLD3 SINCLAIR (VICTOR2, NIMROD T.1) was born September 01, 1922. He married MARY FRANCIS SUTTON. Children of HAROLD SINCLAIR and MARY SUTTON are: i. ANNE MARIE4 SINCLAIR, m. JULIAN RUFFIN. ii. HENRY SUTTON SINCLAIR. iii. DEAN SINCLAIR. iv. CAROL LEE SINCLAIR. v. PATRICIA SINCLAIR. 15. KATHERINE3 SINCLAIR (VICTOR2, NIMROD T.1) was born May 27, 1925, and died July 08, 2000. She married MARKALEE BRANNEN. Child of KATHERINE SINCLAIR and MARKALEE BRANNEN is: 24. i. CARL4 BRANNEN. 16. SALLIE3 INMAM (IDA BELLE2 SINCLAIR, NIMROD T.1) She married L R HOLCOMBE. Children of SALLIE INMAM and L HOLCOMBE are: i. BOBBIE4 HOLCOMBE. ii. JOANN HOLCOMBE. 17. MEDFORD3 INMAM (IDA BELLE2 SINCLAIR, NIMROD T.1) He married OVA MANESS. Children of MEDFORD INMAM and OVA MANESS are: i. MEDFORD LAWRENCE JR4 INMAM. ii. FREDDA INMAM. iii. PEGGY INMAM. iv. BOBBY INMAM. v. PHYLLIS INMAM. vi. IDA FLORENCE INMAM. vii. L M INMAM. viii. ALICE FAYE INMAM. 18. KATIE LEE3 INMAM (IDA BELLE2 SINCLAIR, NIMROD T.1) She married JAMES FRED HOPE. Children of KATIE INMAM and JAMES HOPE are: i. ELAINE4 HOPE. ii. MAX HOPE. 19. FRED3 INMAM (IDA BELLE2 SINCLAIR, NIMROD T.1) He married RUTH BAKER. Children of FRED INMAM and RUTH BAKER are: i. MICHAEL4 INMAM. ii. KIMBERLY INMAM. 20. ROBERT H JR3 INMAM (IDA BELLE2 SINCLAIR, NIMROD T.1) He married GLADYS WILSON. Child of ROBERT INMAM and GLADYS WILSON is: i. REGINALD4 INMAM.
Generation No. 4
21. VICTOR FLOYD4 BURRELL (ARMINTA3 SINCLAIR, VICTOR2, NIMROD T.1) was born September 09, 1941 in Whitmire, S. C.. He married CAROL COOK December 22, 1963 in Whitmire, S.C.. She was born May 02, 1942 in Clearwater, S.C.. Children of VICTOR BURRELL and CAROL COOK are: i. CATHERINE MARIE5 BURRELL, b. August 08, 1965; m. DANIEL DEUTY. ii. BRIAN FLOYD BURRELL, b. March 20, 1971.
iii. VICKIE ARMINTA BURRELL, b. January 17, 1973; m. SCOTT WILLENBROCK.
22. DWIGHT SINCLAIR4 BURRELL (ARMINTA3 SINCLAIR, VICTOR2, NIMROD T.1) was born February 18, 1946 in Whitmire, S. C.. He married ANN LEOPARD. Child of DWIGHT BURRELL and ANN LEOPARD is: i. SUSAN5 BURRELL, m. JASON MORTENSON. 23. CARL WILLIAM JR4 SINCLAIR (CARL WILLIAM3, VICTOR2, NIMROD T.1) He married SUSAN MATTHEWS. Children of CARL SINCLAIR and SUSAN MATTHEWS are: i. KRISTIN DIANNE5 SINCLAIR. ii. ALISON NICOLE SINCLAIR. 24. CARL4 BRANNEN (KATHERINE3 SINCLAIR, VICTOR2, NIMROD T.1) He married ELIZABETH ALLEN. Notes for CARL BRANNEN: Also known as Rocky. Children of CARL BRANNEN and ELIZABETH ALLEN are: i. KRISTIE5 BRANNEN. ii. KEVIN BRANNEN.
25.Melvin4 Sinclair, Jr. b. 08/08/1948) (MELVIN3 SINCLAIR (WILLIAM FRANK2, NIMROD T.1)
married Charlotte Lynne Gregory b 12/01/50 on 07/12/1970Children of MELVIN SINCLAIR and Lynne Gregory are:
i. Melvin5 Michael Sinclair b. 09/06/1971
ii.Thomas5 Gregory Sinclair b 02/14/1976
iii.Kimberly5 Lynne Sinclair b 02/09/1977 Note: As of January 2003, Melvin Michael is Principal of Berea Middle School (Greenville, SC); Thomas is a law school student at Mercer Universitiy (Macon, Georgia), and Kimberly is a Registered Nurse at Children’s Medical Center (Greenville, SC). Spouse Lynne Sinclair is a career elementary school teacher at Taylor’s Elementary School (Taylors, SC), and Melvin is an independent management consultant in Greenville, SC.
Generation No. 5
26. Melvin5 Michael “Mike” Sinclair (Melvin4 Sinclair, Jr. (Melvin3 Sinclair,( William Frank2,
Nimrod T.1) married Kimberly Hope Luttrell.Child of Melvin Michael and Kimberly Luttrell: i. Michael Liam Sinclair b. 5/28/2002 27. Kimberly5 Lynne Sinclair Child of Kimberly5 Lynne Sinclair i. Kailey Lynne Sinclair b 03/17/1998
Nothing from this website may be copied or reproduced, in part or whole, or in any manner, without the express written approval of the owner of this website or the author of the particular work. This includes, but is not limited to, all photos, stories, graphics, and information on this website.